Out of our 2018-19 trainees…
felt well prepared for their first teaching job
would recommend this programme to others
felt that the programme had met their expectations
were employed within West Berkshire Schools
We aim to provide a programme which has at its heart 3 main objectives.
It is a programme which is:
- Highly professional
Every part of the programme is aimed at preparing you to be the best teacher possible. Immersion into the life of the teacher and daily exposure to outstanding practice and teachers ensures you have the best possible opportunity. We are looking for trainees who display the potential to become outstanding teachers of the future.
- Of consistent high quality
Central leadership of the programme, efficient communication between our members and guaranteed placements within our alliance schools ensure a high degree of consistency of provision through quality mentoring, and coaching and professional development.
- Personal to you
Accurate assessments allow us to provide a differentiated training programme that not only builds on your previous experiences but also supports your specific needs and areas of development. Thoughtful and professional support and training ensure you receive relevant and timely professional development and classroom strategies. That means you won’t be teaching classes unsupported until you are ready
The mentoring I have received has been excellent and the support of staff more broadly in both departments I have experienced has been generous and encouraging.
What makes us different?
- This is an exciting opportunity to train to teach with a highly successful group of schools that make up our partnership, located in the beautiful county of West Berkshire but close to Oxford, Reading, Winchester and London.
- A wide spectrum of high achieving schools ensure a good range of opportunities including a secondary or primary placement for all trainees.
- The secondary in-school training is organised jointly by The Downs School, Compton, RG20 6AD; St Bartholomew’s School, Newbury, RG14 6JP, Kennet School, Thatcham, RG19 4LL and Park House School RG14 6NQ. The primary in-school training is organised jointly by the primary schools within our partnership.The Downs School is the school direct lead school; it has been judged outstanding in all areas by Ofsted.
- Our course leads to both QTS and PGCE – professional qualifications are awarded by Oxford Brookes University so you get the best of both worlds – high quality school led training linked to a renowned higher education institution. In addition, our programme is flexible – you have a choice. If you feel the PGCE / QTS route is not for you, you can opt to take just QTS.
- Our training programme is just the first step on your teaching career. There is a complete programme of training for your career development offered in West Berkshire from NQT to becoming a member of a Senior Leadership team, if you have the right skills.
- School-led courses have very high rates of employment and, above all, of trainee satisfaction.
For more information, relating directly to our School Direct training programme, please fill in the form below and we will contact you.